If you know me well enough, you know that I have a love for cajun food. My dad makes some of the best Gumbo and Jambalaya that I've ever had.
Tonight changed my mind! I typically always have Andoullie Sausage in my freezer. We use it in so many ways its crazy! One of our favorites is a sheet pan meal with Andouille Sausage, peppers, onions and potoates. Toss the veggies with olive oil and cajun seasoning and bake it all together for 45 minutes at 425 degrees or until the potatoes are tender!
I had a green pepper and onions left from a recipe that I tried on Friday and needed to use them up, so I went on Pinterest and looked for a recipe that would use those two items plus either Andoullie Sausage or Kielbasa. I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to try it. Jambalaya is a staple in our house. So when I sae this I was skeptical about it. It's a play on Jambalaya, and I almost prefer this to Jambalaya! So if you're as big of a fan as I am, try this and tell me your thoughts!
CAJUN BAYOU RICE:
Ingredients:
- 3 and 3/4 cups water
- 1 pkg Andoullie sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups par boiled rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp mince parsley
Directions:
- Cut your Andoullie sausage into rounds, then slice the rounds in half.
- In a deep skillet or a large dutch oven, brown the sausage so it gets crispy, remove from the pan and place on a plate.
- To the same pot or pan you browned the sausage in, add your water and olive oil and bring it to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the following: hot sauce, cajun seasoning, oregano, worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and rice.
- Let boil for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- After the 5 minutes, add in: both green onion and yellow onion, celery, green and red peppers, and parsley. Give it a good stir.
- Cover and turn the heat down to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Dont lift the lid!!
- Once done, turn off the heat and remove the lid.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff the rice with a fork.
- DONT FORGET TO TAKE OUT THE BAY LEAF!!!
- Garnish with the leftover greens from your green onions and ENJOY!!
Heres the link for the recipe from pinterest:
Heres what I did different:
- I added the yellow onion
- I used parboiled rice and the original recipe calls for long grain rice
- I used dried parsley not fresh
- I used franks hot dry seasoning, but if you do it this way, only do 1/2 a teaspoon
Comments
Post a Comment