Mississippi Roast and Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes

Mississippi Roast and Instant Pot Mashed Potaotes:

This has become one of our favorite recipes... Now I feel like I've said that about all of the recipes I've posted but honestly it really is!  I've tweaked this recipe from the original so that's the recipe that I'm going to share.

Some tips:  WATCH THE SALES AT ALDI for pork roasts!  Fun fact about Aldi, they are a German based company, and in Germany the standards for selling meat are higher than the United States.  The quality of their meat is better than what we butcher and sell her in the U.S. 
Now im sure you're like, "Nikki, how on earth do you know this?"  Well you see, there was a documentary that I watched about Aldi and how they became who they are.   Thats where I learned A TON about the store, and company in general! ANYWAYS!!! Every Wednesday Aldi has a new meat sale, and when their pork roasts go on sale, you have to get there quick before they go! That is the only time I typically buy them and I'll usually buy 1-2 at a time.  
The next thing I'm going to share, is DO NOT be scared of the amount of butter you put in this roast!  1 whole stick seems like a lot but really its not!  I also use WAY more peppers than what the original recipe calls for, for two reasons: 1) the first time I made this recipe, the peppers were pretty much non exsistant and there wasnt much flavor.  2) My kids and myself like spicy food, now pepperocini peppers are not all that spicy, but they give the perfect amount of spice needed for this recipe, IF you add more than what it calls for.
When you serve this, you can make sandwiches or you can serve over mashed potatoes.  We like it both ways, but typically the first day we eat it, we eat it with mashed potatoes and then with the left overs we eat it as sandwiches!

So lets get to it!

Mississippi Pork Roast:


Ingredients:
  • Pork Roast- I typically use a roast thats anywhere from 5-8 pounds.
  • 2 packets of Au Jus 
  • 1 packet Ranch Seasoning
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1- 16 oz jar of peperoncini peppers
Directions:
  • In your crock pot, add the pork roast and top with ranch and au jus mix. 
  • Cut up the butter into pieces and place over the top of the roast.
  • Once the butter is added, place the peppers in the crock pot, I dont use the juice from the peppers, just the peppers. 

  • Close the lid and set on low for 8-10 hours, or until the meat is easily shredded.
  • Serve over mashed potatoes or make sandwiches and ENJOY!

Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
  • 6-8- peeled and diced russet potatoes
  • 1 cup- water or chicken broth if you have it
  • Butter
  • Milk
  • Garlic powder, Lawry's seasoning salt, and pepper to taste

Directions:
  • Add the potatoes and 1 cup of water or chicken broth to the instant pot. Close the lid and make sure that the spout is set to no steam.
  • Cook on high pressure for 7 minutes- I personally have the Crock Pot brand instant pot and use the Rice setting.  I have to change the pressure to high.
  • Once its done, do a manual release.... For those new to the instant pot game, a manual release means you flip the spout and let the pressure out REALLY fast! Make sure that the pin drops before you open it!!
  • Once you take the lid off, add your desired amount of butter and let it melt.
  • Once the butter is melted, add your seasoning to taste, and about 2 tbsp of milk and mash!  Add more milk if needed to smooth out the potatoes.


Heres the final product... its not as pretty as my other dishes but I promise this will not disappoint!!




Comments