Lemon shortbread cookies

This week I'm a little ambitious!  I have 2 recipes for you!  Both are new to me and it has been decided in my household that we keep them! 
One thing that people outside of close friends and family know is that I truly love to bake.  I have mastered the cheesecake game, as well as an eggless chocolate chip cookie that will blow your mind!  I will share that one too dont worry 😉

Since its finally starting to feel like spring, I've been craving anything lemon, now if you know me I HATE anything fake lemon flavored, I literally take all of the lemon starburst and skittles out of the package and refuse to eat them! However, if its fresh squeezed lemon, or lemon zest I'm ALL about it! So with inspiration from my new favorite girl scout cookie, Lemonades, I thought I would try my hand at a lemon shortbread cookie!  Now I've never made shortbread cookies before, I'm used to a normal sugar cookie or a chocolate chip cookie so I knew that this experience would be different, and let me just tell you it was!  All I can say is that if you like/ love fresh lemon as much as I do, this recipe will be a staple for you just like it has become one of mine!

Lemon Shortbread cookies:

Cookie Ingredients:
  • 1 cup butter softened
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp grated lemon peel- roughly 2 lemons
  • 2 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice- I just used the juice from the 2 lemons I zested for the lemon peel





Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp milk
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 drop of yellow food coloring- optional
Instructions:
  • Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees
  • Zest and juice the lemons and set both aside
  • In your mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, salt and lemon zest until smooth
  • Add flour and blend well- I added 1 cup at a time until it was all incorporated.
  • The dough will be a little dry, so add the 1 tbsp of lemon juice and mix it all together. 
  • Once it is all mixed together, gather the dough into a ball and knead it to a few times so it holds together. 
  • Divide the dough into half, and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
  • Remove one section from the fridge and roll out to 1/4 in. thick.
  • Cut out with a cookie cutter, I relized with this recipe I dont have a round cookie cutter so I used a lid for a mason jar.  WORKED LIKE A DREAM!
  • Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 6 minutes, little trick, line your baking sheet with parchment paper, less mess and easy clean up.  Make sure that you dont brown the cookies.
  • Repeat the process for the second half of the dough. I comined any left over dough I had after each batch and chilled it again for another 10 minutes and was able to make almost double the amount of cookies it called for.  
  • Once the cookies are fully cooled, make your glaze.  I ended up needing to make 2 batches of this becuase I had double the cookies.
  • Take a spoon and drizzle the glaze over the cookies and let set.  The glaze will have a shine at first but then once it sets it will be more of a matte color.
I'm not even joking when I say that these cookies melt in your mouth, and I cant stop eating them! I cannot wait to try more flavors with this recipe! 

Comments