It's time to share repcipe number 2 from last week!
This reicpe I acutally found on Pinterest, and immediately I was like I HAVE TO TRY THIS!
After making this, I have decided that I'm going to have to tweak it to make it my own. I will add my suggestions after I share the recipe, but regardless of how I tweak it, the original recipe is delicious and I will totally make it again! Make sure you see the very end of this recipe for my personal suggestions to the recipe, as well as the link to the original recipe from Pinterest.
Old Fashioned:
The best part about this recipe, since you're cooking with bourbon, you might as well make yourself an old fashioned while you make the meal!
For my old fashioned, all I used was Bulleit Bourbon, a few splashes of bitters, a splash of cherry juice, and topped it off with seltzer and a splash of sprite. Super simple, but very tasty!
Bourbon Chicken:
Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, skinless
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper ( I use a pepper grinder and I turned it about 4 times to get the desired amount)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch dissolved into 3 tbsp cold water
Directions:
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces
- In a small bowl, combine ginger(optional), pepper, soy sauce, bourbon, water, garlic powder and brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan or skillet, heat oil on medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until the juices have cooked off and the chicken has started to brown.
- Add the bourbon mixture to the chicken and stir well. Let it come to a boil, once it reaches a boil, turn the heat down to medium. Let simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, it's important not to speed this up because you want the alcohol to cook off from the bourbon
- Add in the cornstarch mixture and stir, the sauce will thicken quickly.
- Serve over rice.
So! Here's what I would do next time that I make this, now keep in mind these are just my suggestions:
What I did different from the recipe:
- I added minced garlic just before I added in the bourbon mixture, and that added extra garlic flavor. ( I LOVE GARLIC!)
- I did not use the chicken thighs, I used boneless skinless chicken breast and cut them into bite sized pieces.
- I also did not used the ground ginger, I personally do not like the flavor of ginger.
What I will do different next time I make this recipe:
- I would take the amount of brown sugar down to 1/3 of a cup, personally it was too sweet from me.
- I would also add add red pepper flakes to the sauce, I personally thought it needed a little spice to it, and adding the red pepper flakes will totally do that!
- I might also try a flavored bourbon or whiskey i.e. peach Bird Dog, or Jack Daniels Apple would be good as well.
If you make this I would LOVE to hear your feedback and what you did or didnt do differently!
Heres the link for the original recipe as well: Food Court Bourbon Chicken
Comments
Post a Comment